A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Georgia Pig, Brunswick, GA (October, 2011)

Early last month, I stopped off at the Georgia Pig in Brunswick, GA for some barbecue.  I had eaten there two or three years back, but I didn't remember anything at all about the meal.  I blamed that on my memory - what I should have blamed it on was the general forgetfulness of the food.

When  I see a place like this, I automatically think, "This has to be a winner."  Nope.  Not even close.  When I went inside, there were two folks in the place: the cook - who was working hard at the pit behind the counter; and the owner - an older woman sitting at one of the inside picnic tables, talking on a cordless phone.

The sign "Would you like pickles with your order", implies that you have a choice.  Nope.


So I ordered a half rack of ribs and a chopped pork sandwich.   The ribs were non-descript.  The barbecue sauce fairly weak.  The sandwich bland.   I know exactly why I didn't remember - I had blocked it from my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment