A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, March 18, 2012

Woody's Famous Philadelphia Cheesesteaks - Atlanta, GA (March,2012)

So for about the last four or five years, I've driven by this giant sign for Woody's Famous Philadelphia Cheesesteaks on Monroe Drive and told myself, "Self, you've got to get one of those cheesesteaks." But every time that I drove by there (mostly on Thursdays, mostly between 7:00 and 8:00 pm), it was closed. The more times that I couldn't have this sandwich, the better I imagined it would be. So after hundreds of weeks, this cheesesteak had grown into a thing of culinary wonder. 

And then, the magic day finally dawned. I had been to the old time jam at Manuel's and was heading bank towards the Druid Hills area and I saw Woody's looming through the windshield - and the open sign was lit. [Trumpets blare] I tried three of their mini-parking lots before I finally found a space, but eventually saw one behind the giant sign.

From my table, on the porch
I went inside the screened in porch in front of the counter / window, which serves as indoor seating, and perused the menu. Cheesesteak. Turkey cheesesteak. Add mushrooms or peppers. Grilled sausage. Fat Dog Lay's chips. Drinks. And Jake's Ice Cream (this is a good thing to know. Jake's used to have 4 or 5 stores around town, but I thought they were down to the single location on Irwin. Good to know there's a back up, although the hours seem even odder.)

I decided on a simple cheesesteak, no onions. Gave the young man my name, found a seat on the wrap-around porch and waited. About ten minutes later I heard him call my name and went and grabbed my sandwich, wrapped in white butcher paper.

I'd been waiting five years to unwrap this sandwich, so I did so with great expectation. 
I took a bite   -   "Nyeeh"

Took another   -   "Kind of dry"

And a third   -   "Mediocre"

I guess good things don't always come to those who wait....
Woody's Famous Philadelphia Cheesesteaks on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment