A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fred's Bar-B-Q House, Inc - Austell, GA (February 2012)

Over the course of my life, I've eaten at the Bar-B-Q House dozens of time, and I honestly don't think I've ever eaten their barbecue. When I was kid, my dad took me to the Bar-B-Q House for "yellow jacket" hot dogs.  For barbecue, we always went to Wallace's.  If you've ever eaten at Wallace's, you'll understand why I grew up NOT liking barbecue.  

So, how did yellow jacket hot dogs end up in Austell?  I've heard half a dozen versions of this story over my life.  The top two, in my humble opinion:

Story One: there used to be another drive-in near the Georgia Tech campus, in competition with the Varsity, called the Yellow Jacket.   One day (early 1960s), the owner closed for vacation (put a note on the door that said "gone fishin') and never re-opened, supposedly bought-out by the Gordy family. 

Story Two: Fred, of Fred's Bar-B-Q House, somehow ended up with the chili recipe for the yellow jacket hot dog and took it to the exotic locale of Austell. 

Either way, Fred's is about two miles north of I-20 on Thornton Road and looks like any roadside barbecue shack anywhere in the South.
When you go inside, they have basic counter service, full of barbecue items, but prominently featuring things covered with chili.  The "delicious" fried pies?  Fair, and very similar to those at the Varsity. 

I consider myself, with thirty years of experience under my belt, as something of a Chili Dog connoisseur.   I love the dogs at the Varsity - they're classic Atlanta fast food.  I'm a huge fan of the dogs at Martin's - they're really good.  (Truthfully, one of the best things about the dogs from Martin's is that they also serve an incredible fried chicken sandwich.  You can get an "almost-Varsity" dog and an "almost-Chick-fil-A" chicken sandwich at the SAME TIME!  
This picture was taken pre-mustard.   (Weird note:  I hate mustard.  I prefer mayonnaise on sandwiches, and I order my burgers without it.  But mustard and ketchup is the perfect condiment combination on a chili dog.)  The bun is sturdy enough to toast perfectly and the chili is just the right mix of mild and spicy.

I honestly believe that the Chili Dogs at the Bar-B-Q House are the best in Atlanta.   If you like a good chili dog, you owe it to yourself to try one.

(And you have to appreciate a restaurant with a sense of humor.  There t-shirts say "You Can Smell Our Butts for Miles" on the back.   That's just funny.)

No comments:

Post a Comment