A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ginopolis' Bar-B-Q - Farmington Hills, MI (December, 2011)

So, here it is a cool December day and I'm driving into our Detroit office for an afternoon meeting and I see this sign:
"World's Greatest Ribs"?  Challenge accepted!  I know when I think of the centers of the rib universe, Michigan jumps right to the top of the list.....

So, I get inside and the first thing I notice on the menu is that they serve the "World Famous Montgomery Inn Ribs" (as endorsed by Bob Hope!), shipped directly from Cincinnati, Ohio.   Let me get this right:  This place has the world's greatest ribs and they don't even make them themselves?  

I figure since I've already parked, and it is cold outside, that I'll stick around and check them out.   So I order a rack and wait.   While I'm waiting I notice the array of barbecue sauces that lie before me:
Any time that I see this many choices of sauce that there will potentially be something wrong with the barbecue. (spoiler alert).  While I'm waiting, I sample them all.  The winners (in case you're ever at Ginopolis')?  Hickory and Brown Sugar and Sweet Chili.   The ribs come with two sides.  Since I ordered this meal two months before I wrote this review, I can't remember why I had three sides.  Cole slaw (which I wouldn't have ordered if it was a choice), macaroni and cheese (which was common, but tasty) and an odd black-eyed peas with some carrots (?) and peppers in it.  The ribs, themselves:
From the picture, you can guess for yourself.  Pretty bad.  They lied.

2 comments:

  1. dude, "world's greatest ribs" in Yankeeland? Never!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it as them throwing down a gauntlet, and I couldn't let that pass.

      Delete