A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Friday, April 20, 2012

Community Q BBQ, Decatur, GA (April 2012)

Community Q BBQ is the orphan child of Dave Poe's and Sam's Barbecue #1.   Back in the day, Sam (of Sam's Barbecue #1) and Dave (of Dave Poe's) owned Sam & Dave's, where David (#2), of Community 'Cue, also spent time at the barbecue pit.   When Sam and Dave split up their two restaurants, David found a couple of partners and opened his own spot, Community Q BBQ, near Emory.   

There are considerable similarities between the three but, oddly,  when I looked back I haven't blogged on the other two.  I guess I'll do that on the next visit to those.   On the similarities, based on everything I'd read, the mac-n-cheese was the biggest commonality.   The mac-n-cheese from Dave Poe's and Sam's are both among my favorite sides in the city.  But how would Community Q stack up?

I went on a Thursday evening, kind of early and the place was fairly empty.  By  the time I left (6:45), the place was beginning to fill and the line was to the door.  They seem to do a brisk weeknight business, with most of the folks appearing to be from the neighborhood and many on a first name basis with the wait staff.

On to the 'cue.   My first thoughts were that it was okay, but really pricey.   This combo plate:
was $14.75 (this is a rib + one meat combo).  There is chopped pork underneath the four ribs, but only enough to almost cover the toast in a really thin layer.  The chopped pork was good - smokey and moist.  They have two sauces, one thick and sweet and the other thin and vinegar-based.

The fries weren't very good, at all.  Kind of over done and over seasoned.  The mac-n-cheese was as good as rumored - melty and gooey and fork-licking good.  The ribs were cooked well, but had a good taste.  The Community Q folks know how to handle their barbecue pit - both meats were moist and smoky, with just the right amount of char          
The biggest complaint, and what will likely keep me from returning, was the price.   I don't mind spending good money on food, but I like to feel like I received either volume or value (in terms of the quality of the food, etc).  At Community Q, for me, it was neither.
Community Q BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment