A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Friday, September 2, 2011

Abbatoir, Atlanta, GA (July 2011)

Opening in 2010, Abbatoir was getting the buzz from most sources as one of the best new restaurants in Atlanta.   We tried to go earlier in the summer, but had to cancel the reservation, but were able to keep one for an early Saturday dinner in mid-July.  Abbatoir, owned by the Star Provisions group that also gave the city Bacchanalia and Floataway Cafe, refers to a slaughterhouse, hence the focus on offal and other odd parts on  the menu.



I asked the waitress what would be a good choice and her question was, "How adventurous are you feeling?"  I opted out of the various pig and cow parts, and settled on a house made frankfurter with leeks, onion and mustard.
The frankfurter was quite good.  They said that the bestseller on the menu was their wagyu steak, but I went with the chicken schnitzel.  This thing was HUGE.   And tasty.   With bacon chutney (mmmmmm - bacon) and a tomato and cucumber salad.
I think the key to Abbatoir would be to go with a large enough group where you could sample other's food.   And go with people who are, at least, as adventurous as you are, culinary-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment