A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Friday, September 2, 2011

Tom's BarBQ and Deli, Memphis, TN (July 2011)


We were in Memphis for a funeral and were talking with folks about food, as we sat around afterwards.   I had my stand-bys in line (Interstate Barbecue and Rendevoux), but two folks told us about this place that we needed to try, over by the airport - Tom's BarBQ and Deli.  

Before we headed over that way for lunch on the way back to Atlanta, I googled Tom's and found the link to the video segment from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  Guy raved about the rib tips when he was there for Triple-D and then, in a segment of the Best Thing I Ever Ate: Grilled  the rib tips came up again.   I took his advice.   
Paying the Piper..
I decided on a two-meat combo.   Rib tips were the obvious choice, based on personal recommendations at the funeral and Guy.  (If you don't know, rib tips are the ends that are cut off when trimming a rack of pork spare ribs St. Louis style.  They’re the end of the ribs furthest from the backbone and closest to the belly, so they’re fatty and meaty.  

For the second meat, the choice was tough, but I decided on bologna.   As a kid, I ate bologna and cheese sandwiches on Wonder bread, most summer days.  Ever since I had the slab of bologna at Smokin' Joe's, I pick it up most chances at a barbecue joint.  This didn't disappoint.  The simplicity of barbecued bologna and sauce on white bread is hard to beat.   The sides were good, and we shared a banana pudding that was definitely above average.

No comments:

Post a Comment