A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Red Bar, Grayton Beach, FL (September 2011)

Whenever we're along the Emerald Coast, we manage to squeeze in a dinner at the Red Bar.  That generally means getting there right after they open.  It's a bar, plain and simple.   As you pass through the freaky door, you enter a place that is SO PACKED with tables and people that you wonder how they manage to serve dinner.   

And serve dinner they do - they have a menu that is comprised of six items and that's it.  For the last couple of years, the basic menu hasn't changed: eggplant stuffed with shrimp, scallops and veggies, grilled fish of the day (Mahi last week), manicotti, panne chicken and a special.  For an appetizer the night we were there last, I ordered part of the special entree as my app - a deep-fried bacon goat cheese grit cake, covered with a tomato sauce.

For dinner, I chose the panne chicken (pan seared with a lemon buerre blanc sauce with capers, house-mashed potatoes and a salad)


and Jo had the mahi (grilled with the same mashed potatoes and salad).   Of the other couples with us, there were three fishes, two chickens and a manacotti.  The chicken won - everyone that tasted it said it was the best meal of the three that we had, collectively.   Jo said it best, "how can you go wrong when you cover something in lemon and a butter sauce"?

No comments:

Post a Comment