A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Friday, September 2, 2011

Thompson Brothers BBQ, Smyrna, GA (July 2011)



So I keep these three "lists" of places that I want to eat in my trunk (I also have a digital version in my phone) - all for places in Atlanta.  One Saturday in July, I decided to venture out in the quest for 'que.   Thompson Brothers BBQ,  in the Cumberland / Smyrna area (right across the street from Scalini's), was next in the rotation.  


Walking in at mid-day Saturday, the place was about half full. These brothers from Tulsa moved to Atlanta to open a barbecue outpost.  As you can see from the menu, whatever the question, "beef" is the answer.   I asked the fellow behind the counter what would be a good place for me to start.  He suggested the "Whole Nine Yards".
It's a sandwich of beef bologna, chopped beef brisket and beef sausage, with a side and a beef rib.   I took the photo below to get a better "feel" for the sandwich.   I'm just a redneck at heart, 'cause I love me some bologna.  The brisket is beautifully done and they have the perfect sweet, hot sauce on the table.  The ribs are good, too, although I'd suggest the same thing I've ordered each of three times I've been in the past two months.  It's definitely worth a stop if you're within 10-15 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment