A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Asheville, NC (March 2011)

The week before Savannah, we took Madison up to Asheville over her Spring Break.  On the way, we made a great burger stop at Northgate Soda Fountain in Greenville, SC.  

We had three major food stops in Asheville.

The first place was Tupelo Honey, off the downtown triangle.   One of our absolute favorite places to eat in Asheville.  The wait is always long and the menu is focused on locally sourced ingredients.  This night, we sat at the counter in the back and I ordered the Cheesy Grill & Tomato Soup - from the menu:
(Choose one of the following sandwiches, served on Texas toast with a big mug of tomato soup or your choice of a farm fresh side:
Classic Grill: Double Cheddar 
Downtown Grill: Havarti and Pimiento 
Uptown Grill: Havarti and Cheddar)

I went with the Downtown Grill.   EXCELLENT choice.  

Next stop, the next night, for dinner was Tingles Cafe.  This was an interesting place - checkered floor, home-made sodas, locally-sourced (again) ingredients.   Last time we were in Asheville (early July), they had not survived and the space was empty.  I was both surprised and not. Not, because there was no one there with when we were eating, and we saw few come in and out while we were there.  Surprised, because the fried chicken was excellent.

Third food stop, breakfast on the last morning, at Over Easy.  Over Easy is one of my favorite breakfast spots, anywhere.  We've been there four time in the last two years.   For me, it was the Huevos Rancheros - this creation is amazing.  Corn tortillas, black beans, farm fresh eggs, turkey bacon, homemade salsa, sour cream and avocado.
I'd drive the four hours back for this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment