A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, August 21, 2011

Douceur de France, Marietta, GA (December 2010)

We first discovered Douceur de France  last December when it was just a hole-in-the-wall off Glover Street in Marietta (old location photo to the left).  I had seen a note in the Cheap Eats edition of Atlanta Magazine recommending their croque monsieur.    

I googled the menu and saw Jambon Buerre Fromage (ham, swiss cheese and butter on a baguette) and put it down for a trip the next weekend.  You see, Jo and I went to Paris for our 15th anniversary and while seeing the sites there was great, we didn't love the city like some people do, but we fell in love with the street food.  Particularly the ham and cheese sandwich and the crepes.    It was a winner.

And then, as we got ready to leave, we saw the pastries in the bakery.  Particularly, the macaroons.   We picked out six - raspberry, two lime, pistachio, caramel and lemon.   Before we got onto Glover Street, two of them were gone.  We made it almost a mile before we ate the next two.  And the other two didn't make it home either.

I read that they had moved to a new location so we went back in July, 2011.  Much bigger kitchen, more seating, better parking.   But the food was just as good.  

This time I tried the croque monsieur.   How can you go wrong with Pullman bread, ham, cheese and sauce bechamel?  They didn't.  It was excellent.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God! The food looks so scrumptious. I would pay to visit this. I have am living in one of these apartments in Marietta Ga, I sure hope it's not too far away from my flats.

    ReplyDelete