A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Greener Burger, Rome, GA (October 2010)

Following in the footsteps of Farmhouse 303, let us lament the passing of another restaurant.   On Halloween day, we were up in Rome visiting Madison and decided to try out a new place that had opened on Broad Street, downtown,  the Greener Burger.

Great concept for a restaurant.  The folks that owned it also owned a grass-fed beef farm and were supplying beef to the grocery stores in north Georgia and decided to start a restaurant featuring their own produce.  Inside, it harkened back to a 50s diner in the first room and the dining room was very nice - lots of wainscotting, etc.   There were five of us dining that night and everyone had something different.   Everyone thought their meal was excellent.  I had the shepherd's pie, mac and cheese and fries. 

I guess  the prices were a little high for a college town and the concept a little "uppity" for a farm community, but I wish it had have made it.  We'd have gone back.

No comments:

Post a Comment