A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cheesesteaks - Philadelphia, PA (August, 2010)

So we asked everyone we met in Philadelphia where we should go for a cheesesteak.  We got almost as many answers as there were people we asked.   So we decided that we'd make it easier and narrow it down to two that were across the street from each other - Geno's and Pat's.  

You can stand in front of either one and see the folks at the other.  We actually chose Geno's because the line was shorter.  The choices were fairly simple:
with or without onions:  American or Provolone cheese.  I chose American cheese without.  Jo went for Provolone with. 

But, as opportunities present themselves so infrequently, I thought, "when are we going to be back in Philadelphia to try the OTHER place across the street?" 
So we went to Pat's.

There,  they added the varietal option of Cheese Whiz, so that choice was simple.  But, since we had already eaten a cheesesteak each, we decided to share one.   I never really gave much thought to how they made cheesesteak.  It starts with ribeyes.   And ends with my half of a Whiz, without:
No misteak.  We decided we preferred Pat's.





No comments:

Post a Comment