A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, August 21, 2011

Daddy Dz BBQ Joynt, Atlanta, GA (September 2010)

About two months before we ate at Daddy Dz, I attempted to do so, but none of my passengers were willing to get out of the car.

So one Thursday evening I went by for an early dinner.   With a giant pig out front, and a slogan of "We ain't pretty, but we're good", how can you NOT stop in?


Inside, it is bigger than it looks from the street and nicer than I expected. 

At the far end of the front room is a stage where they have live blues on some schedule, but I've not been there for the music.   For music and blues, I generally go to Fat Matt's on Piedmont. 

The menu at Daddy Dz is expansive - ribs, pork, beef, chicken, sausage, turkey.  I went with the Sampler Plate – 6 Que Wraps, 2 Ribs, Beef, Pork, and choice of one side order (mac and cheese for me).


The ribs were good (two and half squeals), the pork and beef okay (two squeals), but the Que Wraps (four squeals) were the interesting thing here.  This is barbecue, wrapped in a light fluffy dough "fried crisp and golden".  Imagine pigs in a blanket with pork instead of hot dogs and deep fried.  You're on the right track.   Very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment