A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Willie's Wee-Nee Wagon, Brunswick, GA (January 2011)

On the same trip where I visited T-Ray's Burger Station on the way to a meeting, I stopped for a bite on the way home at Willie's Wee-Nee Wagon.   I'd be going to Brunswick once every three months for a couple of years and whenever I asked about some place "non-chain" to eat, they always said, "have you been to Willie's Wee-Nee Wagon?"

Two trips before I'd stopped, only to find that they were closed that day.  When a place has an "Internationally Acclaimed Pork Chop Sandwich", how can you NOT stop?  So I picked up a pork sandwich and a chili dog. 

The menu was pretty expansive.  The place has a little bit of inside sitting, inside the screened porch where you pick up  your food, but is mainly surrounded by picnic tables.


Slap in the center of this grill is my pork chop sandwich.   It's really quite simple:  sliced boneless pork with grilled onions and mustard.   I'm just NOT an onion guy, and I generally only like mustard on chili dogs and chili cheese burgers, so I ordered mine with mayonnaise and no onions. 
It was everything that everyone proclaimed it to be.  As I was in a hurry to catch a plane back home from Jacksonville,  I actually ate this AND the chili dog driving down I-95.  Amazingly, I didn't spill anything on my shirt.  

On my next trip down, I did try a pork chop sandwich with mustard instead of mayo.  I know why they make it that way now.

No comments:

Post a Comment