A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Saturday, August 27, 2011

Heirloom Market, Marietta, GA (April 2011)

A friend sent me a review of this "new" barbecue place in Marietta and asked me if I'd been.  The AJC only gave it two stars, but I kept it in mind.  So one Saturday night, Jo and I are over at Cumberland mall and decided to give Heirloom Market a try.  We drove by it.  Twice - once in each direction.  Then we couldn't find a place to park.  This is an odd place - in one end of a strip mall whose only other tenant is a convenience store.   Among the last spots in which I'd look for a barbecue restaurant.


The approach is unique - the two chefs have different backgrounds.  One was a Korean pop star who came to Atlanta to train to be a chef.  The other is a Texas-born, Tennessee-raised, Georgia-trained, self-proclaimed "hillbilly".  They worked together in the kitchen at Repast, and decided to open their own place.  The barbecue is Texas.  The daily side specials Korean-influenced:  kimchi;  roasted sweet potatoes; and cucumber and radish salad.  And the typical BBQ sides - fries, mac-n-chees, collards, baked beans and brunswick stew.

The first night we went, we tried a couple of samplers.  I had ribs, sausage and chicken.  Jo had pulled pork and brisket.  The brisket was the best of the lot, followed by the pork.

Since the first visit, I've been back twice for lunch.  I paid attention to what we noted on the first visit - I ordered brisket, fries and mac-n-cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment