A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Blind Pig, Jackson, GA (July 2011)

After the excitement of the Hickory Pig, the next barbecue place was bound to be a let down, but I didn't realize just how far that there was to fall.  Driving back home from Macon, I realized I'd have a chance to stop at the fifth best barbecue in metro Atlanta (from the June 2011 Atlanta Magazine article), the Blind Pig in Jackson, GA.  


Driving up US 23,  I had to drive by Fresh Air, one of the classic GA barbecue joints, always near the top of any top 10 lists.   As I got closer to the Blind Pig, I saw the first sign.  It was highly promising.  Clever even - a pig with sunglasses and a cane.   When I got inside, as it was mid-afternoon on a Tuesday, there weren't a whole lot of folks around.  I asked what was fresh off the grill and they said ribs and pork. 


So I ordered the ribs, with stew and fried potatoes.

The stew was, in a word, awful.   I'm not a huge stew fan, but this wasn't even tolerable.   The ribs were mediocre, at best.   As I sat there and ate half of my pricey lunch, all I could think was, "I could have gone to Fresh Air..."

No comments:

Post a Comment