A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, August 21, 2011

Empire State South, Atlanta, GA (November 2010)

When looking for a place to meet some folks for lunch in town, I took the chance to try Hugh Atcheson's new (at the time) venture, Empire State South.  Known for his Five and Dime in Athens, ESS is his foray into the Atlanta food wars.  I got there a few minutes early and took a look around.   Good looking bar area, along with pastries and coffee.  Took a seat in the dining room.  Even though it is on the ground floor of an office building on the corner of Peachtree and Tenth, you feel fairly removed from the city inside.   I started with the pimiento cheese and bacon marmalade appetizer.   Then for the entree,

a pork cutlet with potatoes, greens and cabbage.  Excellent.  Recently, Atlanta Magazine named Empire State South as the 6th best restaurant in town.  I can't wait to get back for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment