A couple of years ago I was trying to set up a lunch meeting with someone. When I asked them, they said they really didn't "eat lunch" - for them food was just fuel. I was shocked.

For me, food is an experience. A journey. And a quest. So here are my thoughts. If you eat to live, you may not be interested. If you live to eat, you may find some ideas for places here. I went back to the first of this year, as opposed to diving back multiple years and started there. These are my thoughts on everything except for burgers. They deserve their own page and it is here.


Sunday, August 21, 2011

P Reds, Atlanta, GA (November 2010)

One night, driving down Chattahoochee Avenue looking for a spot for dinner, I drove by this spot.   The first thing that came to mind was the chapter from The World According to Garp where the plane crashes into the house and Garp buys it because (I paraphrase) "what are the odds it is going to happen again? It's pre-disastered!"  A restaurant with an airplane in the roof?  I'm in.  So into P. Reds B B Que we went. 
While standing at the counter to order, I look behind me and see  this fellow sitting at a table with three phones and a checkbook.  We start up a conversation and it turns out that he is the owner.   When I ask if this is the same Pappy Reds that was in Cumming / Roswell.  I get the whole story, which, in the Readers' Digest condensed version, is that the business had become more than 50% catering and all that catering was downtown and they were cooking and driving 45 minutes+.  So the other locations gradually closed and they opened this spot recently.   I ordered the two meat plate:
Ribs and pork.  The ribs were good (I'd give them three squeals out of five), the barbecue merely adequate (oink, oink).


No comments:

Post a Comment